Getting into a car accident can be scary and stressful, especially if it’s your first one. Read our tips regarding what to do after an accident, including when to contact your broker and insurance company.
Even the best drivers get into accidents. As insurance brokers, we’re here to help you feel prepared and know what to do if this happens to you.
What To Do After a Car Accident: Our 6 Best Tips!
1. Stay calm, cool, and collected. Get your breathing under control.
2. Make sure you're ok. Are you or anyone else injured?
3. Call 911 if it's an emergency. You must call the police if someone has been injured, a pedestrian or cyclist was hit, one of the drivers is intoxicated, and/or one of the drivers is unlicenced or uninsured.
4. Never leave the scene. If it’s safe to do so, move your car away from traffic and safely exit your car to talk to whoever is involved. Failing to stay at the scene is a criminal offence.
5. Record details of the accident. Take pictures of the damage if any and write a note on your phone about how, when, and where it happened while it's fresh in your mind. Exchange contact info with people involved, including witnesses, and ask the other drivers involved for their driver’s licence number. This information will be important to give to your insurance company and broker.
6. If the police were not called, it is the law in Ontario to report an accident to the closest Collision Centre within 24 hours of the accident. You need to provide the centre with your personal info, car insurance information including policy number, and your vehicle information.