We’ve all heard this a million times over - “distracted driving is dangerous”, but it doesn't appear to impact most of us. Regardless of the threat, sending that “sounds good” text, always prevails.
Whether you’re at a red light or cruising on the highway, if you are distracted while you’re behind the wheel it can cost you. When driving, things can happen very quickly; in the blink of an eye, you can put yourself and others at risk - leaving a lasting impact on your life.
Top Ways You Can Be Distracted While Driving
- Cell Phones – Whether you are on a phone call, taking a selfie, texting back your best friend, SnapChatting your location, or putting your
song on, all of these things are considering distracted driving. favourite
- Eating – Grabbing drive-thru, or eating your
favouritesnack on the way to your destination is also considered distracted driving - not everyone knows this!
- GPS – Most new drivers aren’t familiar with how to get everywhere, so they rely on GPS while driving and doing this distracts you from your surroundings.
- Personal Hygiene - If you overslept and now you have to rush to your destination, don't do your makeup, brush your teeth, or anything else while driving!
Tips to Avoid Distracted Driving
According to the Government of Ontario, one person is injured in a distracted driving accident every half hour. Wow, scary! Good thing there is technology to assist us so we don't have to drive distracted.
- Hands-free devices + apps – Instead of trying to make that one phone call yourself, use Siri or Bixby on your Bluetooth and get them to make the call for you.
- Eat when you get there – Make that drive-thru stop closer to your destination and avoid any temptation to eat while driving.
- Let your friends know you are driving – Let’s face it, there is going to be a time when you need to get in on the gossip. If you let your friends know ahead of time that you are driving, they won’t expect a response from you right away.
- Silent all notifications – If you aren’t aware of your notifications, you won’t be tempted to check!